Petrogen manufactures cutting torch systems that use everyday liquid fuels like gasoline, diesel, and kerosene, along with your regular cutting oxygen. Petrogen cutting systems provide greater safety, increased performance, and lower operational costs over compressed gas technologies.
We offer a variety of units, including heavy duty cutting systems and lightweight yet rugged field packs, all units providing the essentials for liquid fuel cutting. Our durable units have a long service life and are made in the USA.
Petrogen cutting torches have been around since 1973 and have become the preferred cutting torch technology for entities such as the Defense Logistics Agency, FEMA, and the US Department of Energy, as well as fire/rescue and a variety of commercial enterprises.
The Petrogen liquid fuel torch is more powerful than any other oxy-fuel cutting system. And here's why.
Velocity + Duration + Oxidation + Temperature = formula to understanding cutting torches and what makes Petrogen uniquely powerful and efficient.
The speed of the flame as it leaves the tip is a function of the expansion of liquid fuel as it evaporates into a gas inside the torch tip, not the regulator pressure. With liquid fuel, this massive expansion creates a velocity up to 10 times greater than torches using compressed gases.
Liquid fuels such as gasoline and diesel produce significant BTUs for significantly longer than compressed gases, allowing operators more flexibility and greater coupling distances. The amount of time BTU's are released by the primary and secondary flame defines the distance the preheat flame remains effective in preheating the steel.
Petrogen systems oxidize 99.9% of the steel, unlocking more energy to sustain difficult cuts. Acetylene oxidizes 70% of the steel leaving 30% of the available energy as a puddle of molten steel. When cutting steel, it is the steel itself that acts as the primary fuel source. The preheat flame is simply the catalyst to initiate combustion. A higher level of oxidation means more of the steel is converted into BTUs.
The flame temperature of the Petrogen Liquid Fuel Torch ranges from 5200 to 6400 degrees Fahrenheit. The high temperature allows operators to maintain ignition on steel that is painted, rusty and wet with greater ease than torches that use compressed gases.
The combined effect of these advantages gives Petrogen its incredible power, speed and efficiency. It cuts through up to 14 inches of steel, jumps air gaps, cuts dirty, painted and rusty steel and easily handles many other difficult cutting jobs often impossible with other torches.